CIW Foundation

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by daz134, Feb 5, 2008.

1. daz134

daz134 New Member

I have just started the CIW foundation course. It seems to be going over stuff I already no. Does it get any better than this?

Even though I already no the stuff that’s being covered, when it comes to studying the information in them sections some of the stuff isn’t going in.

I have purchased the foundation - design and ecommerce package so I will be taking the three exams. Does the foundation course get any better? Did anyone else find it hard for all the information to sink in even when they knew most of the topics covered?

I’m just worried that what questions will they ask? If I’m not taking it in will the knowledge that I have get me through it? Or should I make a effort to learn the topics word for word so I no that I will come out alright?

Has anyone taken the foundation course? Do they cover all the really basic stuff that’s at the start of the course? Do I even even need to do the foundation exam? As I was told I couldn’t do the design with out the foundation.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You need to pass all exams in the track to get the Master CIW Designer certification. So, yes, that means you have to pass Foundations.

I took it many years ago... back in '01 or '02. It was incredibly easy, but it might have changed since then.

Does the course get any better? I have no idea... I didn't take a course. I just went in and took the exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

While this particular series of certifications doesn't seem very popular, it might make sense to look at them from a different point of view. Take a look at the various skills required and particularly the markup, styling, and programming languages represented. In my opinion, if you want to be a web developer, whether or not you become certified, you should become skilled in the areas I've mentioned and that are covered by these certs.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I think that's why these certifications didn't take off quite as much as the creators hoped. It's fairly easy to show proficiency in these skills with a portfolio. Several years ago when I was applying for programming jobs, not a single person ever mentioned the CIW certification. I don't even think I put it on my resume, but I was able to show them that I could code and I had several Web sites I had developed that they could look at.

5. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I think you should read this quote again as this is the best advice you will read and it has the magic word in it...."PORTFOLIO"

I took the foundations exam nearly a year ago and to me..... learning all this stuff about web design, networking and e-commerce and I.T in general....was really enjoyable!. You don't need to know how the internet began or how it works......but for me it was interesting because i didn't know!

So...if you already know this, then...it aint gonna get anymore interesting and enjoyable. So my advice would be to concentrate on what you DON'T know and take the exam. Also when you start studying for the IDO 520 exam(web designer), then i wouldn't study to hard on this...only about usability and accessability.

What i would do is buy a couple of books on Xhtml, CSS, (www.sitepoint.com) and watch as many online tutorials as you can on Flash, Photoshop and Dreamweaver, and anything else you might wanna know.(www.lynda.com , www.gotoandlearn.com , www.learnflash.com).

If you PM me your email, then i can send you a mock exam on the foundations exam which helped me a bit.

Cheers ....

Certifications: CIW Professional
  6. BosonMichael

Not sure the admins of this site want it to be a conduit for the passing of mock exams... there's too many braindump mock exams floating around out there to allow it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Uh, who does that mock exam belong to? If you don't have permission to "pass it along" to people who didn't pay for it, you are probably violating your use agreement. Sorry but I like to play by the rules.

8. Omaima

Omaima New Member

Hi can anyone help i want to get into web design, am i better off taking the foundation course of CIW and if yes how do i from the microsoft website??

or should i just study photoshop and dreamweaver books and take the exams

can someone help in how i should start??

Certifications: BSC hons Computer Studies
    WIP: web design
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

First of all, it would have been better for you to start your own thread rather than "piggyback" on this one. Also, what does the "microsoft website" have to do with the CIW courses?

To find out basic information about the different CIW certification paths, we have a thread pinned at the top of this forum. Here's the link so you don't have to go looking for it:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread12161.html

Photoshop and Dreamweaver are good to learn as they are common tools used in web design but I'm not sure how much they have to do with the CIW certs. Have a look at the information available at the link I just posted. It should answer the majority of your questions.

10. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I strongly agree that brain dumps are bad for all, and please don't insult me in saying that i have used them or promoting them. I didn't study for a year and a half on CIW, staying up till one o'clock in the morning every night to then use bloody brain dumps thank you very much. The mock exam that i have got was given to me buy prosoft themselves which was included in my training modules. If i cant share this with nice people on here because of some user agreement (that i must say doesn't say i can't pass it on, it says i can't copy it). I have the original which is in a zip folder ( the way i was given it). I am willing to give that away!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Calm down. It's nice that you are willing to give away a resource that you feel is helpful. No one is doubting your honesty or your generosity, however it's just that your user agreement probably prohibits such an act. Look at it from ProSoft's point of view. They send you a piece of software that is licensed to be used by an individual (as opposed to a class or other group). You use it legally since you are the person the software is licensed to. However, since it's an individual license, even though you own it, you are not permitted to send it to *other* individuals or groups. This is ProSoft's way of protecting their information and their profits.

Even if you are using the software as part of a group license (let's say you are part of a class that your training provider purchased a group license for your class), only members of the class the license was issued to would be permitted to use the software. You couldn't pass it on to people who didn't belong to that class. Somewhere along the line, someone paid ProSoft in order for you to be able to use their software. To pass it along outside of the individual or group licensed to use it (unfortunately) defrauds ProSoft, even though that is not your intent.

Please understand, I'm not trying to unfairly accuse you of anything but rather, I'm trying to help you to understand why you can't simply pass this piece of software along to whoever you please.

12. BosonMichael

I couldn't have said it any better.

13. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

What do you mean CALM DOWN!!!!...who do you think you are.......i am calm....AHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Only joking! Even though my words sounded like i was ranting and raving..?......i wasn't. I was a little peed off that people started to suggest that i might be referring to brain dumps. But thats all. And i am sure I've had this....well.....discussion on user agreement and all before on this forum. But i can honestly say that i have read all user agreements thats on my study material and can not find where it says that i can't give my study material away. I can't sell it or reproduce it in anyway, but thats all i can see.
    If someone can show me otherwise, than please let me know. But i don't want to get into an argument or debate over this. I can't be asked! All i want to do is help people. Sorry about that.

14. BosonMichael

Put yourself in the moderators' shoes... that's how most people who trade braindumps on forums do it. :) Not accusing you... but if someone sees you do it honestly and legitimately, others will try to do it illegitimately.

I don't know of any legitimate practice exam providers who allow redistribution of their content. If they're like everyone else in the industry, you can't sell it, trade it, give it away, or let anyone else use it.

Certainly if their licensing doesn't say that, and it doesn't say anywhere in the EULA that it's a "non-transferrable, single-user license", then it's cool. But do you want to take the risk that it does say that, and you get slapped with a lawsuit? Just sayin' you should weigh the risks... I'm all about helping people... but not at my own risk.

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Must of been all of the exclamation points that gave me that impression. :wink:

I have to go along with what Michael just said. He's pretty savvy on this subject and frankly, it would be unusual for a commercial software vendor to let their product be passed along willy nilly. Of course, open source software licensed under the GNU for example, *can* be passed along as long as any changes you make to the source material are also available for open access and access to the original code is allowed. I'd be willing to bet though that ProSoft doesn't license their goods under the GNU.